Sunday 10 November 2013

Good Morning Sunshine!

My munchkin is turning 2 in just over a month (WHAT?!), and I realized this weekend that she is quite possibly the most inspirational human being I know.

She's a BIG talker-- a real chatterbox-- (hard to believe with such quiet, reserved parents), and she tends to say a lot of laugh-out-loud and/or cute things. She also tends to shock us on a daily basis with what comes out of her mouth. I am actually sitting here, shaking my head and smiling just thinking about it. It's more than pride-- it's amazement.

Before you stop reading, I'm not that mother-- the one who will sit and tell you that she has the world's most perfect child. I will be the first to step up and admit that we undoubtedly started with the whole "twos" thing early. We're on a daily rotation of smiles, whining, tantrums, mommy-clinging, laughs, hyperactivity,  fits and cuddles. It's quite draining, actually.

The thing is, this Saturday morning, she said something that took my breath away. I woke up to her morning noises, went into her room, said "good morning", and opened her blinds to let in some light. Standing in her crib, she looked out the window, smiled and said, "good morning sunshine!" What made me stop in my tracks was the fact that it was a particularly grey November Montreal morning. There was no sunshine to be seen. From her not-quite-two-year-old perspective, that was completely insignificant.


Then, I realized it was not the first time she started her day like this. No, actually it's the first thing she says nearly every single morning. Every morning for her is a "good morning sunshine" kind of morning.

As I smiled and scooped her up for a big morning hug and kiss, I realized just how amazing that is. What if we all started every morning with a "good morning sunshine", not yet knowing just what our day might have in store for us? What if every day-- no matter how grey, or cold, or sleepy-- actually started out full of possibility and positivity? ...Out of the mouths of babes...

I can only hope that my adult brain can step aside for a moment and allow me to greet every new day through the eyes of a toddler.

Happy Monday, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment