Tuesday 15 October 2013

Book Review: The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project
Author: Graeme Simsion
Publication: HarperCollins Canada, May 2013 

PUBLISHER'S SYNOPSIS:

A first-date dud, socially awkward and overly fond of quick-dry clothes, genetics professor Don Tillman has given up on love, until a chance encounter gives him an idea.
He will design a questionnaire-a sixteen-page, scientifically researched questionnaire-to uncover the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker or a late-arriver. Rosie is all these things. She is also fiery and intelligent, strangely beguiling, and looking for her biological father a search that a DNA expert might just be able to help her with.
The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy like no other. It is arrestingly endearing and entirely unconventional, and it will make you want to drink cocktails.

MY REVIEW:

Drop whatever else you're reading right now, and read this book! 


It's as simple as that. I will not make any attempt to be witty or clever in this review because it will be an insult to the smart, insightful, and deliciously giggle-worthy writing found in Graeme Simsion's novel.

I really did not know what to expect when I FINALLY got my hands on this book. (I say "finally" because I've been itching to read this one since I first heard about it back in May.) All I knew was that the buzz was great, the description sounded fun, and the title was screaming my name (my daughter's nickname is Rosie). What I got was absolutely better than what I could have imagined, and I am glad that I jumped right in without knowing more than I did.

We are introduced to Professor Don Tillman when he is asked to step in for a friend at a presentation about Aspergers to a room full of kids diagnosed with the condition and their loved ones. What becomes clear as the book progresses, if not immediately, is that Don has much more in common with his beloved "Aspies" than he recognizes when he presents his cold, clinical, academic assessment. While Don never puts a name to his own "condition", he recognizes that he is "not wired" like most people.  This makes for an honest, clever, chuckle-infused, and sometimes bittersweet read.

I want to go on and on and on about how fabulous this book was, but I need to restrain myself. I believe that part of what made this book so enjoyable for me (as with so many great reads) was all of the little surprises along the way. So go out and scoop up your copy now, get in touch with me in the comments below, via Twitter, Goodreads- however- and let's gush!


Added bonuses:

- Professor Don Tillman has his own Twitter handle. I mean, COME ON- amazing!

- The book has just been optioned for film by Sony Pictures!

- It's the October 2013 Savvy Reader Book Club pick, so there are lots of people out there reading and excited to chat everything Rosie!

No comments:

Post a Comment