Saturday 10 November 2012

First Recipe Post: Individual Baked Oatmeal Cups

A great snack or breakfast-on-the-go!

These babies are no-flour and no-butter!


So let me introduce this recipe by saying that I recently finished maternity-leave, started a new job in a completely new industry, and I have been struggling to find a balance between work-baby-husband-home-etc. Some mornings have been insane rushes trying to get up, get dressed, prepare Baby for daycare, get her dressed, feed her and still try to shove something nutritious down my throat for breakfast. I love oatmeal, but those instant packages leave something to be desired, and they're not exactly conducive to an eat-and-run type meal (you know-risk of burning and spilling on my way out the door). I decided to try to find something I could prepare ahead of time that could serve the same purpose, that Mommy, Daddy and 10-month-old Baby Girl would all enjoy.

It worked! The basic mix is delicious enough on its own that it doesn't really need any "extras", but throwing them in meant variety and a little something for everyone! I have a lot of random ingredients laying around the house that allowed me to come up with some deliciously creative combinations!


I made some with dried cranberries and slivered almonds



Others with delicious walnuts and golden raisins

No-extras-added mini cups for Baby Girl to enjoy

And, of course, some chocolate chip minis as a treat for Hubby!

Makes Approximately 36 (Medium-Sized) Cups

INGREDIENT LIST:

2 Large Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Cup of Apple-Pear Sauce
1 Cup of Coconut Oil (liquefied)
1 Mashed Banana
1.5 Cups Brown Sugar
5 Cups of Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup Flaxseed Meal
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
3 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
3 Cups Milk

Fillings/Toppings of Your Choice
 
  • Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix together your wet ingredients (except milk): eggs, vanilla, applesauce, coconut oil, banana
  • Add in brown sugar until well combined
  • Toss in your dry ingredients: oats, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking powder and salt
  • Mix well and then pour in the milk to combine everything together
  • Pour mixture into greased or lined muffin tins- fill only about 1/2 way; sprinkle in your fillings; fill the rest of the way with batter; sprinkle more toppings if you want
  • Bake approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean!
 

Enjoy them for brekkie, as an afternoon snack, or after-dinner treat!

Let me know if you try these out and if you have any suggestions for improvement!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. I can attest to the deliciousness of the above cupcakes (yes...I called them cupcakes even though the wife yelled at me that THEY ARE NOT CUPCAKES THEY ARE BAKED OATMEAL AND HAVE NO BUTTER IN THEM!!) Anyways....yum! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these yesterday and my husband who doesn't like oatmeal loved them. I absolutely love them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliment! Let me know if you come up with any fun combinations!

      Delete